Friday, September 16, 2011

Better off with Liberal arts

A few years back, while at Stony Brook, I found myself on a train next to an undergrad student. We got talking and he said that he wanted to get a degree in Business Administration. Since he was decided about this at the undergrad level itself, he had apparently considered studying business as a major. However, his professor advised him against it. The reasoning was that for people who want to make a career in business or law, reading, analyzing and processing vast amounts of text/information is an essential skill. A degree in liberal arts would be a perfect choice for him and hence he chose liberal arts as his major. He could always get an MBA later in life.

I think the above argument makes perfect sense. Now that I think back, had I been in the 12th standard at this point, choosing a career with my 84 percent, I would probably have chosen liberal arts in a branded college such as St Stepehen's or St Xaviers over an engineering degree from VIT Pune, which mostly nobody has heard about.

No comments:

Post a Comment